By David G. Myers
A pleasant Letter to Skeptics and Atheists is helping readers—both secular and religious—appreciate their universal floor. For these whose pondering has moved from the non secular thesis to the skeptical antithesis (or vice versa), Myers bargains tips to a science-respecting Christian synthesis. He indicates how skeptics and other people of religion can proportion a dedication to cause, facts, and important considering, whereas additionally embracing a religion that helps human flourishing—by making feel of the universe, giving desiring to existence, connecting us in supportive groups, mandating altruism, and supplying wish within the face of adversity and dying.
Read Online or Download A Friendly Letter to Skeptics and Atheists: Musings on Why God Is Good and Faith Isn't Evil PDF
Similar spirituality books
"All lifestyles in all worlds" -this used to be the thing of the author's seventeen-year quest for wisdom and discovery, culminating during this e-book. In a way unmistakably his personal, Murchie delves into the interconnectedness of all existence in the world and of such fields as biology, geology, sociology, arithmetic, and physics.
In simple Teachings of the Buddha, Glenn Wallis selects 16 crucial dialogues drawn from greater than 5 thousand Pali-dialect suttas of the Buddhist canon. the result's a colourful introductory consultant to learning Buddhist concept, utilizing its rules to lifestyle, and gaining a deeper figuring out of Buddhist issues in glossy literature.
In our present period of holy terror, passionate religion has come to appear like a gift possibility. Writers comparable to Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens were chuffed to throw the infant out with the bathwater and claim that the chance is in faith itself. God, Hitchens writes, isn't nice.
Here's a treasury of 108 brief decisions from the best-selling books of Pema Chödrön, the loved Buddhist nun.
Designed for on-the-go suggestion, this assortment deals teachings on:
• becoming fearless
• breaking freed from harmful styles
• developing endurance, kindness, and pleasure amid our daily struggles
• unlocking our average heat, intelligence, and goodness
- Letting Everything Become Your Teacher: 100 Lessons in Mindfulness
- What Really Happened in the Garden of Eden?
- Spiritual Relationships (The Wisdom of Yogananda, Volume 3)
- Black and White Bible, Black and Blue Wife: My Story of Finding Hope after Domestic Abuse
Additional resources for A Friendly Letter to Skeptics and Atheists: Musings on Why God Is Good and Faith Isn't Evil
2. Even for those who believe that God intervenes in response to our prayers, there are practical reasons for expecting null effects: • The “noise” factor: Given that 95 percent of Americans express belief in God, all patients undergoing cardiac bypass surgery will already be receiving prayer—by spouses, children, siblings, friends, colleagues, and fellow believers, and congregants—if not offering them themselves. Are these fervent prayers a mere “noise factor” above which the signal of additional prayers may rouse God?
The balance between the energy of expansion and the braking power of gravitation had to be extraordinarily exact—to such a degree that it seems as if the universe must have been expressly designed for life. ” So what shall we make of this? Were we just extraordinarily, incomprehensibly lucky? The utter improbability of our biofriendly universe makes that an unsatisfying answer. One alternative to the religious idea of a creative benevolent power is the conjecture that ours is but one of an infinite number of spawned universes— that rarest of universes that just happens to have all the precise physical constants needed for biofriendliness.
We are not ghosts (or souls) in machines but unified mind-brain systems. Longing for a nonmaterial spiritual dimension, some people look to out-of-body extrasensory perception—to reports of people predicting the future, reading others’ minds, or discerning events at remote locations. Alas, no greedy—or charitable—psychic has been able to predict the outcome of a lottery jackpot or to make billions on the stock market. The search for a valid and reliable test of ESP has resulted in thousands of experiments.